FreshSteps aims to continue to provide students with an Alternative challenging curriculum which enables students to reach their potential. We believe young people develop through varied learning activities.
The Key Stage 3 curriculum at FreshSteps
- Literacy and Numeracy – Core subjects, given priority time.
- Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) is delivered each week across the curriculum for all Key Stages.
- Design and Technology– Has a high profile within FreshSteps, with specialist equipment, resources and materials.
- Physical Education-Our students attend two boxing/gym fitness sessions a week. Swimming in summer months
In every subject our students participate in they will experience fantastic teaching and learning styles. This will include individual work, group work and whole class teaching; Students will be encouraged to take responsibility for their own learning, developing excellent independent learning skills so that they become less reliant on input from teachers.
The Key Stage 4 curriculum at FreshSteps has the following components:
- AQA Functional Skills English– A core subject that is given priority time. Students will be entered for either their Level 1 or 2 Certificate which is equivalent to half or a full (depending on the level taken) GCSE. These qualifications are accepted for entry into further education institutions.
- AQA Functional Skills and GCSE Maths– Students will be entered for either their Level 1 or 2 Certificate which is equivalent to half or a full (depending on the level taken) GCSE.
- AQA ICT Level 1 and 2
- AQA (PSHE) Level 1 and 2
- Double Science
- GCSE DT- Students study GCSE Product Design and Resistant Materials are entered into end of year AQA examinations.
- Work Experience – FreshSteps works closely with Enfield careers service and Enfield Business partnership to provide students with valuable experience of ‘living in the wider world’. Our Work experience is tailored for individual students’ needs.
We have been very fortunate to link up with the British Army to provide our students with a 5 day residential experience at their camp in Woolwich. Our first batch of student went out on the 1st June 2015.