Functional skills English
Our English department consists of a team of enthusiastic and committed teachers. We place a strong emphasis on equal opportunity and provide an environment in which all students are encouraged to become independent in their thinking and the expression of their ideas. The three main components of speaking and listening, reading and writing are taught interdependently and students are expected to take responsibility for their own learning, as individuals and as part of a team, in a collaborative environment of stimulating, interactive lessons and extra-curricular enrichment activities.
Aims and Learning Objectives
- Demonstrate skills in speaking, listening, reading and writing that are necessary to communicate with others confidently, effectively, precisely and appropriately.
- Express themselves creatively and imaginatively.
- Become critical readers of a range of texts.
- Use reading to develop their skills as writers.
- Understand the patterns, structures and conventions of written and spoken English.
- Understand the impact of variations in spoken and written language and how they relate to identity and cultural diversity.
- Select and adapt speech and writing to different situations and audiences.
FreshSteps are resourced with rooms equipped with interactive whiteboards which are supported by the myriad of resources the school possess.
Enrichment and Interventions
We offer a whole host of enrichment and intervention activities to support learning at FreshSteps Saturday School.
- Easter and May Half-term sessions for exams
- After school revision and catch-up sessions.
- Literacy Clubs.
- Homework Clubs.